The Wakefield town is locatedon the north bank of a river known as river Calder. It is at a point where there is a principle road that comes from the Midlands going into the north side. The town is known to be an administrativetown as well as a market town. The land which is now known as Wakefield town first settled into in the year 1638 by a group of small settlers who came from a place known as Lynn. When the seven families settled and the seven houses were built in the year 1644, the court then ordered that the town was going to be incorporated later on.
In the year 1667, Wakefield continued to grow which also lead to the development of an extra 59 houses. There was also a garrison house which was built against the Indian attacks which were in the year 1671. However, the settlers there repurchased their land from the land back from the Saugus Indians.
Wakefield then went ahead to send some of its men for its Revolutionary war even though no war was fought within their bounds. There was a declaration that was made for its independence that was read publicly so that every single person could hear. The late 18th century, the town later became split into three distinct and separate parishes. The first parish was known as Wakefield, the second was known as North Reading, and the third one was known as Reading.
The south reading was still considered to be rural, and it was still isolated until the Maine Railroad and Boston came to visit the town in the year 1845. The change that this visit caused was very dramatic which automatically lead to the population doubling from 1,600 residents to a whole 3,200 residents which took place in 15 years.
So How Did Wakefield Come to be The Town That it is Today?
In the year 1851, a man known as Cyrus Wakefield came to town and with this, he developed two new industries which were known as the Maine Foundry company and the Boston Company. He was also the founder of the Wakefield rattan company which over the years has grown to be successful. The success of these companies automatically changed the entire character of south Reading and made it one of the major manufacturing centers. After Cyrus Wakefield had offered to build the town a new hall in the year 1868, the people in the town of South Reading voted to the changing of its name to what is now known as Wakefield. As Wakefield kept on approaching the 20th century, it continues to develop and flourish which is what lead to its popularity and the building of the art gallery that many people like to visit and have a look at.
Next Post: Things to do in Wakefield